Sankey

A Perfect Place to Visit

Sankey and Penketh lie on the western edge of Warrington and mainly consist of residential development. South of Penketh lies Fiddler’s Ferry a crossing point on the St Helen’s Canal and also an ancient crossing point of the River Mersey. The derivation of the name Fiddler’s Ferry is believed to come from the landowner Adam le Vicleur, which was gradually changed to Violer. This became a player of the viol or fiddle, hence Fiddler.

At one time the major employer in the area was the local tannery. Other industries included brewers, cabinet makers and shoemakers.

In 1757 England’s first canal was in operation between St Helens and Sankey Bridges and apparently it was a common sight to see coal flats lining the canal waiting for the tide.

This website provides links or derives its information from third parties. Whilst all information is believed to be correct and is updated on a regular basis, the website owners
or managers cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for error, omission or accuracy of the site, its contents or links. This website is intended for information purposes only.

go cheshire | Legal | Advertising Terms & Conditions
go cheshire is managed by Getting Here Ltd & created by Designed 2 Use